This is the students’ version of the page. Log in above for the teachers’ version.
NoteThis lesson covers finding a fraction of a quantity. It also covers finding a percentage of a quantity by converting the percentage into a fraction. There is a separate lesson on converting percentages into decimals in order to find percentages: lesson R9c – Finding percentages and percentage changes multiplicatively using decimals. Lessons R9d and R9e, which follow on from lesson R9c, make use of that skill.
Interpreting fractions and percentages as operators
Teachers: log in to access the following:
- Slides in PPTX (with click-to-reveal answers)
- Slides in PDF (one slide per page, suitable for importing into IWB software)
- Worksheet (with space for student work)
- Handout (slides with exercises only; 4 per page for reduced printing)
Links to past exam questions
Teachers: log in to access these.
In the real world
Teachers: log in to view this content.
- R3a – Expressing one quantity as a fraction of another
- R6a – Expressing a multiplicative relationship between two quantities as a ratio or a fraction
- R9a – Converting between fractions, decimals and percentages
- R9b – Finding percentages and percentage changes (basic)
- R9c – Finding percentages and percentage changes multiplicatively using decimals