This is the students’ version of the page. Log in above for the teachers’ version.
A starting point: dissection and rearrangement
Here are two parallelograms. For each one, can you see how you can cut it into pieces and rearrange those pieces to form a rectangle? There is more than one way to do it for each parallelogram. The applet below shows you one example of how to do it for each one; simply click the “Cut and rearrange” buttons to see the animation.
Area of a parallelogram
Teachers: log in to access the following:
- Slides in PPTX (with click-to-reveal answers)
- Slides in PDF (one slide per page, suitable for importing into IWB software)
- Worksheet (with space for student work)
- Handout (slides with exercises only; 4 per page for reduced printing)
- Desmos classroom activity: Area of a parallelogram (20 randomised questions) Find out more
- Further material on this topic embedded here (log in to see)
Interactive GeoGebra activity: create a parallelogram with a given area
Teachers: log in to view this content.